Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Itchy Feet

I have what has been referred to as itchy feet. No, I don't have fungus issues. I just don't stay in one place too long.

I left home when I was sixteen. I threw a dart at a US map and since it landed in Arizona, that's where I went. I convinced a friend to go with me and it lasted six months. It was time to go again. Short term leases were made for me.

After a brief stop back home in New York, I was on the road again. This time I landed in Kentucky. I met a guy and that was the end of my travelling ways. I tried my best to convince him to move, but his feet are just fine. We had kids and I felt it would be unfair to drag them around. In hindsight I should have pushed then if I wanted to leave because we were broke and had nothing to lose.

Over the last eleven years I have had the itch to leave, but "good sense" won out. We have a great house on a decent size lot. We are close to my husband's family and never want for childcare. I am going to school and I have connections in the community that enable me to follow my passion of empowering people towards food security.

The itch is back. I can't shake it. I also don't know if I can describe it. It isn't actually in my feet. My heart aches. It is pulling me somewhere. It manifested itself yesterday as a huge wash of homesickness for New York. I'm originally from West Oneonta.  I spent most of the day looking at real estate listings. I found a 3 bedroom house on 7 acres for less than $60000. No I did not omit a zero. I  have to keep telling myself that there is a reason real estate is so cheap. If I move on something like that it is a decision to be a full time farmer. That is not where we need to be right now.

We will move in due time. Or not. I will grow food and build community here or anywhere we might go. I need to step back, relax and not listen to my feet right now. I've got seeds in the ground right here. I need to take care of them for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment