Monday, February 21, 2011

I am an Urban Homesteader

Urban:  of, pertaining to, or designating a city or town.

Homestead:a place where a family makes its home, including the land, house, and outbuildings

My husband and three kids, along with our critters, make our home in the city. We have a (blessedly huge) .38  acre lot where we grow our own vegetables and herbs, have had chickens, and hope to some day have goats. I also farm deeper in the city at a church in a food desert. It is our goal to empower the community towards food and income security through agriculture and entrepreneurship.  

I farm, cook, sew, knit and attend college full time pursuing a degree in sustainable agriculture. 

My husband is an avid cyclist and a musician. He supports my work and inspires me to follow my passions. 

I had been considering blogging our adventures as we move towards self-sufficiency, but the recent events surrounding the trademarking of the descriptors of our lifestyle have pushed me over the edge.

I am an Urban Homesteader! I welcome you to follow our journey.

1 comment: